Since this release, the Aerospike NoSQL database is now open-source! Read about this bold and exciting move.
Aerospike platform gives developers clear path for successful growth by enabling seamless migration from free Community Edition to Web-scale Enterprise Edition
Mountain View, CA – August 29, 2012 – Currently in production within some of the industry’s most data-intensive environments, the Aerospike real-time NoSQL database and key-value store is now available in a free Aerospike Community Edition for the first time. Launched today by Aerospike Inc., (formerly Citrusleaf), it combines the speed and uninterrupted service of the Aerospike Enterprise Edition with the ability to scale to meet future demands.
Key benefits that the Aerospike Community Edition inherits from the Enterprise Edition include:
- Predictable, ultra-fast performance with sub-millisecond latency and response times of less than 5 milliseconds 99.9% of the time.
- Reliable handling of more than 200,000 transactions per second (TPS) per node on commodity servers.
- Automatic failover and replication to ensure uninterrupted operations even in the event of a node failure within the cluster.
- Self-managing clusters with intelligent data migration, automatic re-balancing, and smart data expiration.
- No degradation in performance with rolling hardware and software upgrades, and background back-ups and restores.
- Reduced IT overhead via SSD or flash-optimization, cost-effective use of industry-standard hardware, and support for deployment in the cloud.
“Companies worldwide are betting their business on our Aerospike real-time database in environments where managing billions of objects and predictably processing anywhere from 200,000 TPS to 1 million-plus TPS is a must, and even momentary failure is not an option,” said Srini V. Srinivasan, Aerospike founder and vice president of engineering and operations. “Aerospike Community Edition now brings the same performance and reliability to companies that don’t need to manage terabytes of data today but want to know that they can scale in the future.”
“Aerospike makes some key promises for short-request processing data management: fast, parallel performance; reliably low latency; very high uptime,” said Curt Monash, president of Monash Research and editor of DBMS 2. “It’s great to have free editions on which to test their claims.”
Built for Today’s Real-Time Big Data Applications
Web, social media, and mobile-based interactions are driving the need for real-time responses based on the reality of what users are doing now. Aerospike is the only real-time NoSQL database that fulfills this need, combining a key-value store for processing both structured and unstructured data with predictable high performance. Common use cases for Aerospike today are:
- For session management, as a server-side cookie store or user profile store with fast access to current context—such as page views, recent search terms, ads served, game state, last move, friends list, and location—as well as pre-computed data loaded from analytic warehouses.
- By recommendation engines running similarity metrics on current context, matching recent behavior, and finding users who are close by or have played particular games recently.
- As an in-memory database or persistent cache replacing Memcached and MySQL as a safe, reliable and persistent cache or in-memory database for mobile, social-media and content-rich applications. Aerospike’s unique flash optimizations deliver near in-memory speeds with 10x gains in cost performance.
Aerospike Database: Three Options
Companies that want to experience the benefits of the Aerospike real-time database now have three options. The Aerospike Community Edition is a free unlimited license designed for environments that only need to support a single cluster of up to two nodes within one data center. (Editor’s note: Since this announcement was made the Community Edition is no longer limited to 2 nodes. It can support up to 127 nodes in a cluster.)
The Aerospike Enterprise Edition is an unlimited commercial license. It is designed for enterprises that want no limits on the amount of storage or number of data centers, clusters and nodes they can deploy. The Enterprise Edition adds cross data center replication with complex ring and star topologies for geographic proximity and business continuity. It also includes 24×7 phone and email support.
The Aerospike Enterprise Trial is a free 30-day license. It is designed for companies that know they need the scalability of the Aerospike Enterprise Edition today and want to conduct a proof of concept (POC). Aerospike provides service and support options for conducting accelerated POCs.
All three Aerospike database options are available today. To learn more, contact Aerospike at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 408.462.AERO (2376).
Aerospike, Inc. offers the only real-time NoSQL database and key-value store that delivers predictable high performance for mission-critical, Web-scale applications. Aerospike’s flash-optimized, shared-nothing architecture scales linearly, consistently processing over 200k transactions per second per node with sub-millisecond latency. With automatic fail-over, replication, and cross data center synchronization, the Aerospike database reliably stores billions of objects and terabytes of data—while providing 100% uptime and a 10x improvement in TCO over other NoSQL databases. Customers accelerating their business with Aerospike include adMarketplace, AppNexus, eXelate, Sony’s So-net, and The Trade Desk. Be sure to follow us on Twitter @Aerospikedb.